Forza 1000 Garage Door Opener - Shelly 1 Wi-Fi Connectivity

 I recently purchased a house with an existing and fairly old (circa ~2006) motorized garage door opener which I wanted to connect to my Wi-Fi and Home Assistant to alert me if the garage door is left open, or so I can open the garage door from the house which is out of range of the rf433 controller.

The garage door motor is a Forza 1000 




Unfortunately there were know owner's manuals left by the original owner, nor was I able to find anything useful on the internet aside from programming instructions for new rf433 remotes at magickey

I pressed the RED button at the front of the controller to open the cover and began reading through the labels on the pins


The area of most interest were the 2 terminals in the bottom right (2 x 3-pin green terminals with orange clips).




The three pin terminal on the left is labelled photocell which I have since learned is for an IR sensor that is usually mounted 10-20cm off the ground to detect any obstructions (children, pets or toys).

The terminal on the right is labelled '+wall-switch-' where the first pin is DC voltage (24v + : confirmed through multimeter), the second pin is the trigger to toggle the motor (by grounding it) and the third is ground(-). I was able to test this by using a U shaped wire to connect pin 2(purple in diagram) and 3(black in diagram) on the second terminal which successfully opened the garage door. Touch again and it stops, touch again and it closes.


As the Forza 1000 outputs 24 volt (DC) from pin 1  - I was able to power a Shelly 1 Wi-Fi switch and avoid having to run extra power (e.g. USB or DC adapter), and wire it in a way that I could trigger the garage door opener - NOTE: The jumper setting for voltage input :



So that I could tell whether the garage door was open or not, I added a wired reed switch::


The reed switch is mounted on the opener track so when it is open I can trigger an audio alert on speakers and a Telegram notification via Home Assistant; if the garage door has been left open for more than 5 minutes, or if it is open after 11pm (and before 6am)


The Shelly 1 I used was one I repurposed from another project and was already running Tasmota. The main things to consider with Tasmota are:
  • Default to OFF (PowerOnState 0) - This ensures after losing power your garage door won't open.
  • Set Auto-Off Time to 1/2 Second (Pulsetime 5) - Grounding the switch on the Forza only needs to be for < 1 second so I have configured Tasmota to auto turn off after 500ms
  • Separate the Reed Switch from the Relay (Switch 1/Relay 1 for Open/Close and Switch 2/Relay 2 for Reed Status) -
  • NOTE: If you do not separate the reed switch(2) input from the relay(1) - the garage will OPEN as soon as the reed switch is toggled.
It is also possible to configure all of the above on the native Shelly firmware in the UI and I am tempted to re-flash it back to take advantage of Shelly Cloud access (in the event Home Assistant is offline or unavailable). 












Comments

  1. Taking power from the Forza 1000 for Shelly 1 appears to greatly reduce RF433 range - using an external 12VDC power source for Shelly 1 will resolve this as Shelly 1 is a dry contact which means the 12VDC sourced power won't interfere with the 24VDC switch power

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts