ESXi 5.5 U3 - Can't have a partition outside the disk - Unable to read partition table for device - Dell PE230/H330

This morning I attempted a new ESXi 5.5 U3 install on a Dell PowerEdge R230 with a H330 controller.

I followed standard processes, creating a new RAID1 array with 2 x 600GB 10K SAS disks with 2 x virtual disks. The first 16GB and the second with the remaining space - about 550GB.


I then booted off the Dell ESXi 5.5 Update 3 (U3) CD and started the install. The install process saw the two virtual disks and I selected the 16GB volume to install. I confirmed the install and entered the root password once prompted.

Shortly after entering the root password, once the install process started I was presented with a screen per below:


Operation failed.
This program has encountered an error:
(Use the arrows to scroll)

Error (see log for more info):
partedUtil failed with message: Error : Can't have a partition outside the disk!
Unable to read partition table for device
/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.123ca123de123ca123de123ca123de123ca123de

.

The processing information will assist the VMware support team with your problem. Please record this information before proceeding.


I tried deleting and recreating the virtual disks multiple times. I also tried recreating virtual disk with "data protect" disabled on the RAID1 array with no joy.

Finally I recreated the virtual disks, and selected "Advanced" and selected Initialize.  This is fairly standard with any new setup, though I'm sure in the past when I have created new VD's they have prompted me to Initialize the disk.

I'm not sure if its a Dell PERC H330 thing but unless you specifically select Initialize the VD under Advanced it skips it - it does prompt you, however I must admit I skimmed over it and though it was asking if I wanted to Initialize the drive so clicked OK.

There are many sites out there telling you to use partedUtil to create an MS-DOS volume, including the VMWare KB - https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2082806 which might make sense on an existing install, however this is a fresh (brand new) install.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts