Fortinet Firewalls, their functionality and a little about 23 minutes filtering quotas

OK, so the first thing I decided to blog about was technical, and it is Fortinet Firewalls.

I'm an experienced Network Engineer who has configured several different types of UTM devices ranging from Sonicwall to Juniper to Cisco but due to the enormous amount of funtionality for $$$ which is something small businesses love, I have become an advocate for Fortinet.

There are several things that could be improved on, such as an ActiveX Remote Desktop Version of the SSL VPN Bookmark. Java just doesnt cut it! And also the policy routes... but maybe thats just me.

A new feature I'm playing around with at the moment which was released in firmware 4 MR2 is the user authenticated quotas. i.e. the ability to give an FSAE authenticated user a set number of minutes per day on a specific categories website. e.g. Social Networking.

One thing I have found is that the timers appear to be hit and miss, and for whatever reason I am forced to either set to 1 hour + or for whatever reason 23 minutes... I suspect this is some sort of bug ?

When I attempt to set it to anything more I get the error "Quota time is at least one second and less than one day" ..... hang on a second did I say error... its a statement... yes.. 24 minutes is at least one second and less than one day..



Like everything new to Fortinet, I'm accepting that they like many other vendors out their release functionality to get complaints or bugs to further better it... definitely keen to see this working well.

Its a funny one, but like everything technical... there should be documentation and whilst Fortinet have dramatically improved by providing http://docs.fortinet.com/ when they bring out a new feature, they tend to be slow to give in depth instructions. I read the FortiOS Handbook... and other than a paragraph on what its meant to do in theory... it would be nice if there was a real working example.

Comments

Popular Posts